Graphic design manager responsibilities include a list of supervising and executing activities including creation of computer graphics, web page graphics, logos, illustrations, advertisements, brochures and many other forms of visual communication.
A graphic design manager can attain this position only after he/she has gained some experience as a junior graphic designer. Such a professional must have the abilities to plan, conceptualize, strategize, supervise and implement graphic design elements in an effective way. He/she is also responsible for providing training and mentoring sessions to junior team members in this field.
A graphic designer manager helps in creation of visual imagery through an equivalent combination of visual art, page layout, typography, etc. It is to be understood that the work of graphic designing includes both the process undertaken and the final result or outcome of the process.
One of the main duties of such a professional is to interact with the client directly along with the junior designer. He/she must oversee the team’s work and check whether they are able to obtain the right data or information in order to sketch out the project concept.
It is his/her responsibility to be a part of the conceptualization process to its implementation stage and finally till the delivery of the product or service. One of the additional duties of a graphic design manager is to perform business development jobs or sometimes in selling the team’s portfolio to companies looking for designing services.
In this diversifying marketing and communication industry, graphic designing is an extremely interesting and rewarding career choice. If you are an experienced graphic designer and you aim to move high up in your career ladder, you must apply for the position with great confidence and expertise. For doing so, you must know about the respective job responsibilities in detail.
Responsibilities and Duties of a Graphic Design Manager
- Supervise and lead the graphic designing team
- Participate in designing and redesigning computer graphics, web page graphics, logos, illustrations, advertisements, brochures and many other forms of visual communication
- Analyze and plan the framework of design according to the laid out concept and established specifications of the project
- Ensure that the delivered products or services adhere to the policies and standards of the company
- Delegate job responsibilities among junior team members and oversee that quality work is being completed within the deadline
- Complete the project work within the timeline and estimated budget
- Deal with the client and be the point of contact
- Oversee that new techniques and processes are used to provide best quality of designs
- Train and mentor junior designers and entry-level entrants
- Be aware of the latest techniques and procedures used in designs
- Suggest new ways of improving the quality of designs and other project issues
- Assist the team members to choose the right style, attractive graphics, images, and other visual elements to adept them according to the objectives of the project
- Leverage creative and marketing knowledge to develop new creative campaigns for specific targets
- Work in collaboration with colleagues across different departments
- Bring new business to the organization and sell current portfolio of work to prospective customers
Essential Skills Required for a Graphic Design Manager
- More than three years of experience in graphic designing
- Excellent creative and innovative skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Extremely convincing with good presentation skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Client interfacing ability with confidence
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective relation building capacity with client, partner and internal team at different levels in the organization
- Knowledge of interactive design including best practices in technology, usability and user experience
- Must be detail oriented and well organized
- Strong delegation power
- Excellent salesmanship skills
- Ability to use strong analytical and artistic approach to solve complex issues
- Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize different tasks
Educational Qualifications For A Graphic Design Manager
A graphic design manager requires to complete his/her bachelor’s degree in fine arts, along with a minimum three years of work experience as a graphic designer. A master’s degree is preferable for this position to be proficient in managerial functions.